I attended a funeral this past week for the husband of an old friend. Although I didn’t know him real well (they married after we moved), I knew he was a good man, treated my friend well, and most importantly loved God. I was truly amazed and touched during the funeral because of the life he lived and the many people he touched.
He worked as the recreation director of the prison in Muskegon. He also organized worship services there. He served as a deacon, an Adult Sunday School Teacher, and helped with the kids’ programs. Not only were there over 400 people present at the funeral, they had to hold two memorial services at the prison because the inmates requested it! He ran his race well in this life!
I was also amazed to see how well my friend, Lisa, was holding up. Although I knew she had a strong faith in Christ, I was able to see it in action. She wasn’t overcome with grief, but was praising God for the time she had with Kevin. After he was taken into emergency surgery, she led the family in prayer. When he passed away, she immediately started singing hymns by his bed side.
They both made me realize that I want to live a life like theirs. I want to touch people for Christ. I want to praise God in the bad times as well as the good. And what they made me realize is that if that is my desire for my life, then I need to be walking closer to Christ. I need to have an intimate relationship with Him. I need to hunger for Him. Kevin’s favorite verse was, “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”—Matthew 6:33
I urge you today to seek God’s Kingdom first and everything else will fall into place. God desires so much more for us than we could ever desire for ourselves. It doesn’t matter what the world thinks. What matters is that we are living for God and doing His will in our lives. Seek God today. Seek Him in prayer. Seek Him in His Word. Seek Him in nature. Seek Him everywhere you look. Just seek Him today.






















No comments:
Post a Comment